Thursday, November 18, 2010

Some Yummy Recipes & a Shopping Trip

Helping Mommy cook.  She loves to watch!

Sleepy Girl.


Well, I don't have much to blog about this week, so I thought I'd share a couple of yummy recipes that we enjoyed the last few days.  Unfortunately for you, I didn't get any pictures.  So sorry.  I have to get better at that.

Baked Potato Soup (Semi-low fat, too)!
4-5 Potatoes, baked, peeled, and cubed
1/2 cup Flour
4 cups Skim Milk
1 cup Half-and-Half
1 cup Broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Dash of garlic powder
1 cup Reduced-Fat or Fat-Free Sour Cream
1/2 cup Green Onions, chopped
4-6 Bacon Slices, cooked and crumbled

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Pierce potatoes and bake for 45 minutes to one hour or until tender.  Let cool.  Peel potatoes and cube.
Place flour in soup pot; gradually add milk stirring with wire whisk.  Add half-and-half and broth.  Cook over medium heat until thick and bubble (about 8 minutes).
Add potatoes and use a potato masher to break up the cubes (depending on how chunky you like your soup).  Add 3/4 cup of cheese, salt, pepper, and dash of garlic powder.
Remove from heat.  Stir in sour cream, green onions, and bacon.  Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.  Do not boil.

Makes 6-8 servings.

I also added chopped, cooked broccoli to get another veggie in there.  YUM!

I served this soup with cheese stuffed croissants.  It made a delicious meal on a cold, rainy night.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Pumpkin Cake (Semi-Low Fat, too)!
1 Tbsp. Flour
3/4 cup Egg Substitute
1/3 cup Sugar (or less)
1/3 cup Applesauce (unsweetened)
1 can Pumpkin
2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice (I added a little more)
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon (or more)
1 package Yellow Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
1/3+ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Cream Cheese Frosting, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 or a bundt pan.  Dust pan with 1 Tbsp of Flour.
Place egg substitute, sugar, applesauce and pumpkin in a large bowl.  Beat on high for one minute.  Add spices and cake mix gradually.  Beat on high for two minutes.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack for 10-20 minutes.  If using a bundt pan, remove from cake pan and cool on wire rack.  Let cake cool completely before frosting.

This was a delicious cake after the Baked Potato Soup.  It's got no oil, which is a huge plus, but is still quite moist due to the pumpkin!  I loved the addition of chocolate chips (add as little or as much as you like).  Tom said this cake had a lot of flavors all packed into one.  I guess it's kinda true - pumpkin, cinnamon, chocolate, cream cheese, etc.  Just a few of my favorite things!  ha! :)

~~~~~~~~~

Italian Chicken Sandwiches - I got this recipe from a cookbook of a family that I grew up going to church with - The Grosse Family Heirlooms Cookbook.  There are so many great cooks in that family! :)

1 package "Hoagie" Buns
2 Tbsp. Oil
3 Chicken Breasts, thinly sliced
1 package Italian Salad Dressing Mix (dry)
1 small Onion, sliced thin
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, sliced thin
2-4 Bacon Slices, cooked (optional)
Mozzarella Cheese (sliced or shredded)

Slice chicken breasts and put in small bowl.  Pour dry dressing mix over chicken and stir to coat.  Allow to sit for a few minutes as you prepare other ingredients.  In 2 Tbsp. of oil cook seasoned chicken until no longer pink.  Add onions and green peppers. Saute until onions begin to turn clear and peppers are soft but not wilted.  Remove from heat.  Toast or grill hoagie rolls (butter the insides and broil for a minute or until toasted).  Pile on the chicken mixture, bacon and cheese.  Return to oven and broil until cheese is melted.
Makes 4-6 sandwiches depending on size of bread.

These are YUMMY!  They remind me of Charley's Subs.  I first experienced this restaurant on the Branson Landing with some of my best friends in college.  We loved that place.

We like these sandwiches served with some Baked Lay's Chips and either a fruit salad or a cucumber and tomato salad.  Trust me, you will LOVE these tasty, toasty easy-to-make sandwiches!

~~~~~~~~~

Tonight we're either going to have a Spinach & Cheese Quiche with a Banana & Strawberry Salad and fresh muffins/biscuits or Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts, Broccoli, and Crescents. 

~~~~~~~~~

Now for my shopping trip.  I went to Walgreen's this morning.  I spent $26.88 on $70 worth of items.  That's a $43 savings.  I was pretty proud of myself.  I didn't get to spend as much time on my trip as I would have liked (I had a sleepy baby in my cart), but I was pleased with my results.  Here's what I got:

2 DiGiorno Supreme Pizzas
4 bags of Holiday Style M&M's - regular $3.50 each.  I got for $1 a piece.
1 box of Ritz Munchables Pretzel Crackers
1 box of Reduced Fat Wheat Thins
1 jar of Skippy Peanut Butter
1 25-count Freezer Ziplock bags
1 120-count Sandwich Ziplock bags
1 Aluminum Foil
1 Colgate Toothpaste - I got for free with my coupon.
1 Pantene Pro-V Shampoo
1 Pantene Pro-V Conditioner
1 Garnier Fructis Shampoo
2 Jars of Comet Disinfecting Cleaner
1 bottle of Joy Dish Soap

Pretty good deal!  My husband was proud...he said I was "awesome."  :)

~~~~~~~~~

And finally, a prayer request:

I am currently working with my former employer on a proposal for a part time bookkeeping and light tax preparation job.  The great thing about this opportunity is that I can work FROM HOME!  I also can determine the amount of hours that I think I want to work.  I am thrilled with this possible situation.  Please pray for everything to work out to benefit both parties.  I do not want to take on too much work, but I do believe that this opportunity would help to keep my mind sharp and occupied this winter.  I am so thankful for such a great company that sees potential in me and in my work ethic!  I'm hoping to get something started by the beginning of the year.  I'll keep you updated, but please pray that I will trust God with whatever the outcome of the situation.  Thanks!

Hope you all have a great weekend! Thanksgiving is almost here!  I'm so excited for some family time!!

1 comment:

  1. Awww.... Charley's. :) miss you and wish I were there to cook/eat with you. Kiss my niece for me.

    ReplyDelete